Tuesday 6 December 2011

Q2 (draft) How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

When designing my digipak it was based on the concept that was inspired by the rolling stones Let it Bleed album. The focus was on the cake which had an abstract meaning that I want to incorporate into my version. However my draft design did not turn out as well as I thought it would so I scrapped the idea and started again. So I feel that my final products have developed substantially from the first draft.

For the final version I needed to think of a new approach and needed to rethink my ideas. I still wanted to create an abstract concept and incorporate some ideas from my first draft. So I thought out a concept that would show the bands party personality, it would also show how they are a different non generic indie band. This would be more appealing to the audience as the more different a band is from the rest makes them stand out more in the crowd. I positioned on my dining table various items you would expect at a house party. But as an added twist some items such as a cake stand which was inspired from the first draft was incorporated into the shots the table was also dressed as though it was a tea party. I tried various effects using the SLR cameras features and ended up with my final image. How I took the image was by increasing the lens exposure so that more light was taken in and moved the camera slightly which resulted in the blurred effect in the image.  As it is a different image you would not expect on a album cover I felt that this made the cover more appealing and gives it unique brand.

The party atmosphere is also partly shown in the music video in the way that the lead singer max acts as a showman displaying an energetic side. The font colour and style was partly inspired by Vampire weekends album contra this would mean that fans of vampire weekend would get a feeling of familiarity. How the band was dressed was typical for an indie genre band, the costumes for some of the band was changed from the draft as the feedback we received was that it just didn't quite fit so the costumes were adjust slightly. Alterations included the drummer Jake wearing a hoody instead of just a white t shirt, the lead guitarist guy wore a polo shirt rather than a coat. We also had the addition of our the lead singer max compared to guy who was the lead singer in the first draft. Max as we found out was the much better choice as he acted like the lead singers from other bands such as Kasabien inferring some similarity between other established bands.

1 comment:

  1. Can you also think of audience expectations and whether they would be used to seeing the three products linked together ? Give examples.

    ReplyDelete